One of Buffer’s values is working smarter, not harder, and the #bufferchat community gathered to offer tips and ideas on living smarter.
How do you manage your energy throughout the day? What are your go-to productivity tips? Are there certain times of the day you produce your best work? Our community shared their thoughts with us! Catch the full recap here.
What does “working smarter, not harder” mean to you?
- “”Work smarter, not harder” for me means maximizing efficiency. W/ high levels of productivity and time management.” @St_Elgin
- “Working smarter means cutting out the unnecessary steps that we take simply because “that’s the way we’ve always done it.”” @jacksondame
- “Focus on what you know and outsource activities that don’t play to your strengths.” @SmartSuiteBree
- “To me, it means #Proactive and not #Reactive – having a plan allows you to be flexible.” @CShirkeyCollins
- “For me it means using the resources & support systems available! Don’t reinvent the wheel!” @AA_Schmidt
How do you manage social media during your time off?
- “Open up access to your social media to colleagues, put together content style guides and trust your team to cover it” @WhiteOctober
- “@buffer and @hootsuite are obvious choices that I regularly use to manage my social engagements even when taking a break” @Marcus_Boswell
- “Schedule everything I can, then enlist a rockstar co-worker to help manage live engagement!” @CarolinaOusley
- “Also summer vacations offer an opportunity for great content, sometimes being spontaneous converts better” @iangelidaki
- “The work will still be there when you get back. EVERYONE needs to take a break. Dial it down and deal when you get back ” @Ursula_Ringham
How do you manage your energy throughout the day?
- “Healthy snacks and time up from my desk” @Mz_EvanTaylor
- “Doing yoga and playing a few rounds of pool in the afternoons. Also brainstorm [sessions] help me focus.” @jayleehb
- “Bringing my pup into work w/me, she forces me to take at least a couple walks throughout the day.+2pm handstands and snacks!” @caitlin_pdx
- “Twitter chats and talking with other like-minded people gives me energy and motivation to get more done. Accountability too.” @jacksondame
- “Setting small manageable goals keeps my mind focused! Like a mental checklist” @thelifeofaworkgirl
What time of day do you feel like you can create your best work?
- “Early in the morning, usually before heading to the office. Those wee morning hours are so peaceful!” @unbounce
- “Don’t try and create a schedule based on what’s “normal” – find what energizes you and embrace it!” @joellecharming
- “Early in the morning when everybody is sleeping and my mind is clear and empty! With a good cup of coffee”@katairobi
- “I am most productive later in the day and into the night. I can do mornings but I’m best later.” @London_Lady
- “I also listen to my body/mind to see what’s in the mood for and will shuffle my tasks accordingly”@CarolinaOusley
What are some of your favorite mid-day breaks and activities?
- “I like to walk around outside if the weather is nice, read a bit of a book I started, or scroll through Tumblr.” @SamPereira91
- “Just like Edison, you need to alternate your current by moments of intense work followed by a break.” @Ross_Quintana
- “Realizing as I type this: coffee’s my answer to every question so far :/ but I spend my time at coffee shops for my break =]” @riabcruz
- “Subtle, Ambient music for the win! I can say that my #socialmedia career is powered by coffee & ambient music.” @thesociabelle
— Aubrey Lorraine (@theelephantfly) May 20, 2015
What’s your super secret tip for saving time?
- “Wake up an hour early & spend that time doing something you’re passionate about. Works wonders :)” @bhaesa
- “Be realistic about goals -> Use Pomodoro -> Manage to-do/idea lists -> Give yourself a break. More work done in less time :)” @ipsita_agarwal
- “Our internal book group liked the ‘Do it, Delegate it, Defer it’ mantra in Getting Things Done http://blog.whiteoctober.co.uk/2014/09/11/book-club-getting-things-done-by-david-allen/ …” @whiteoctober
- “Focusing on completing one thing at a time. Ignoring other distractions unless# absolutely critical.” @macksnapmatt
- “Plan out your day in advance/prioritize/be flexible enuf to squeeze in ad hoc stuff. Don’t waste time guessing what’s next.” @thinkSEM
Thank you so much for everyone who joined in on this great chat!
Catch #bufferchat each Wednesday at 9 am Pacific/noon Eastern and join our Google+ community for the latest news.
Do you have any comments or answers to these questions? Leave your thoughts in the comments! We’d love to hear from you!
Image sources: UnSplash